POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Layered textures vs. sky_sphere : Re: Layered textures vs. sky_sphere Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Layered textures vs. sky_sphere
From: Tom York
Date: 23 Aug 2002 09:55:30
Message: <web.3d663ce5f0f0662ecd15d6aa0@news.povray.org>
Mike wrote:
>I found the answer:  The problem isn't with the sphere, it is with the
>sky_sphere.
>
>The sky_sphere does not handle filtered transparency. It acts as if you
>specified rgbt even if you use rgbf. If you specify both (rgbft) then the
>sky_sphere adds the two values together and treats the sum as rgbt.
>  So your textures were working correctly on the sphere, they were NOT
>working correctly on the sky_sphere!

I tried converting the textures applied to the sky_sphere by adding the
filter/transmit channel values for the pigments I was using. I fail to
duplicate the results, possibly because one of the pigment entries has 1 in
both filter and transmit; adding them together as a transmit value seems to
make the pigment brighter.

This behaviour does seem a little bizarre; reviewing the POVRay 3.5
documentation, I found no mention of this problem. Could it be connected
with the changes that were made to correct the behaviour of filter and
transmit in layered textures? Maybe the fixes were applied to ordinary
layered textures but not to the layered pigments of sky_sphere?